Recipe for Radical Change (Part 2)

Recipe for Radical Change (Part 2)

So the woman left her water jar and went away into town and said to the people, "Come, see a man who told me all that I ever did. Can this be the Christ?" –John 4:28, ESV

How is your “To-do” list progressing today?  I had four tasks to accomplish today before 2pm; they are written in a list on my agenda.  With a mere one hour remaining before I gather the children; only one of those tasks has been accomplished.  Why?  I was interrupted, interrupted by another task that led to a more important work than was on my list.

My friend The Samaritan Woman came to the well in pursuit of water – an essential,  absolute necessity for life; yet when she heard a word from the Messiah she realized she needed to ADJUST HER PLAN. 

My grandmother, mother, and aunt were all teachers.  Therefore, growing up I presumed I would be a teacher.  The problem with my life-plan arose approximately my junior year in high school when I realized I don’t actually enjoy working with children (if we were having a face-to-face conversation I would humorously say I don’t actually like children, but since you’re reading my thoughts I’ll dial that back).  From my junior year of high school until my sophomore year in college I was a girl without a plan.  At times being without a plan caused me panic, but it definitely increased my prayer life until one day Luke 14:28-30 leaped off the pages of my bible;

“For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ “

Jesus is speaking of the cost of being His disciple in this passage, but because of circumstances in my life at that time the living, active Word of God confirmed that I was to be in the cost-counting business.  I broke with the female legacy of my family and declared my major in accounting.  I ADJUSTED MY PLAN when I heard God’s word spoken through the pages of my bible. And at this moment God has provided more mission and ministry opportunities through business than I would have ever imagined.  It is an Ephesians 3:21 career for me.

What does The Samaritan Woman teach us about ADJUSTING OUR PLAN?

The Samaritan Woman left her waterpot & went (v. 28) Water is IMPORTANT but she left it behind and RESPONDED by acting on the personal word Jesus spoke to her.

What activity do you deem “important”? 
A social organization, volunteer work, church commitments, family, perhaps even sleep.  All of these are GOOD THINGS. Yet, Jesus offers her Living Water and that Water filled the deepest hunger of her soul more than a well of earthly water ever could. 

Have you responded to the One who knows “all you ever did” or will do?

Perhaps you say:

I’m too busy
“And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone,” -- Matthew 14:23, ESV

“but one thing is necessary.[e] Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.’ ” – Luke 10:42, ESV

I’m too old
And Sarah said, “God has made laughter for me; everyone who hears will laugh over me.” And she said, “Who would have said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse children? Yet I have borne him a son in his old age.” – Genesis 21:6-7, ESV

Isaac was born to Sarah in last ¼ of her life.  According to our life expectancy that means her life changed radically when she was 59 in current years.

We are not busier than Jesus nor too old to respond to Him. 

How do you need to ADJUST YOUR PLAN today to hear Jesus speak a word to you?

Blessings, Nancy

Comments

Popular Posts