Sleigh or Train?

Are those lights a sleigh or a train?

“After coming into the house they saw the Child with Mary His mother; and they fell to the ground and worshiped Him.  Then opening their treasures, they presented to Him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.” –Matthew 2:11 NAS

Recently I felt Christmas panic.  It seems I feel Christmas panic every year.  Christmas panic for me means a tight chest, swirling thoughts and curt responses.  (I never said Christmas panic was holy).  Christmas panic begins when members of our extended family begin pressuring, I mean asking, my husband and I to provide “a list” of what each of our children would like for Christmas.  I practically need a flow chart to diagram the gifts, and despite our pleas by December 26 the gifts seem OUT OF CONTROL.  I confess that part of this stress is self-induced as I seek to make sure each family member has the opportunity to give a gift of equal satisfaction without overlapping.

I have reminded our extended family that when we were kids, the extended family provided a small gift, but Santa…Santa was the shining star.  Santa has a tougher time in this era.  Thinking of struggling Santa led me to get in a tizzy about why it was hard to even think of things our kids would like this year since they have a sum total of two passions; one passion which has to be constantly and consistently contained (electronic entertainment). 

Then I came across some blogs; one on materialism and another on the true meaning of Christmas and how the writer’s family chooses to simplify and make the season more Christ-centered.  Boy did that sound good.  Actually, it sounded great.  I called my husband.  I forwarded those blogs and said “Read these.  I’ll call back in an hour and we’ll talk.” Remember, curt responses. 

Man was I on fire.  I talked to three of my friends that day.  They were sharing the same gift allocation frustration.  One friend declared she wanted to start a new holiday just to celebrate what Jesus has done.  I practically screamed in the phone, “We have one, and the world has hijacked it!  We don’t need another holiday! Believers must take back the one we have!”  The three friends and I strategized how to deal politely with the requests for “lists” and discussed perhaps it was time to simplify by chunking the fantasy.  It was time.

And then I called my husband back.

He patiently and sweetly said he wanted to repeat back two conversations of our morning.  One was me (the panicked, chunking the fantasy Mom) requesting he consider offering the green light for the purchase of a 2nd artificial tree with new, themed ornaments.  The second (also me) expressing (through gasps, stammers) horrified dismay that we would consider the purchase of a certain item for Christmas that all 3 of our boys would enjoy that ironically, cost exactly the same as my tree/ornament estimate.  He wisely AND sweetly pointed out that while my delight was from decorating, the delight of our boys comes from that type of item.  Right.  Got it.  Let me think about this some more….

There are two Christmases I remember distinctly; the 5th grade and the 8th grade.  In the 5th grade Santa brought me a small television for my bedroom (keep in mind there weren’t very many channels then), my first picture books about Princess Diana (I am a closet Anglophile) and Santa sent my cousin on the most awesome scavenger hunt for her Christmas presents.  We had such fun hunting! 

I remember the 8th grade for a different reason.  Compelled by Christmas anticipation (translation selfish greed), I searched the checkbook log for each of my parents’ to determine in advance if all my dreams would come true.  (Not sure I’ve ever told my parents this).  On Christmas Day I performed a major acting job to express surprise.  It was the most disappointing Christmas I ever had, and I received exactly what I hoped for.

Other Christmases were lovely.  I have sweet memories from many of them.  I remember the anticipation going to bed on Christmas Eve.  I remember Santa calling while we were eating dinner at my great aunt’s every year on Christmas Eve to speak to each child.  I remember family gatherings, lengthy travel, the Barbie Dream House, the Cabbage Patch Doll, the coconut cake that awaited our arrival at my grandmother’s.  I never liked coconut cake as a child.  I remember several years ago my husband took me to New York at Christmas and I stood before the freshly lit Rockefeller Christmas tree and my eyes filled with tears.  New York City in December is the epitome of commercial Christmas perfection; the window displays, the music, the lights.  Amazing.

So how do we reconcile the sweet memories, the fantasy and the spiritual?  Is it even possible?  Will eliminating the fantasy make my children closer to Jesus; appreciating the season more?

Fantasy Need Not Overshadow Eternity

Here’s the deal.  Christmas is about a relationship; a relationship with a Holy Infant who became a Savior.  As my relationship with my Savior has deepened, so has my yearning to experience the true meaning of Christmas.   I am more passionate about Christ in Christmas now than I was ten years ago and more passionate about Christ in Christmas ten years ago than I was as a child.

As a child I soaked up the magic and fantasy of Christmas, and I see no scarring on my faith.  Enjoying Christ in Christmas is about preparation; setting aside the time necessary for my heart to experience the meaning of His birth.  Time to experience Christ requires sacrifice of good things – a party, an open house, a Messiah performance perhaps – to focus on a personal relationship that began because you were born and Jesus arrived.

What other time of year would you hear the name of Christ mentioned in song on popular radio stations?  There are still good things happening even in the chaos and materialism of our “holiday” culture.

Some Gifts are Hits and Some Are Misses

You cannot tell me Mary’s eyes did not pop out when she saw some Wise Men arrive and lay out gold!  Kind reader, Mary was not from the country club set.  They brought gold!

I also imagine Mary was a little disturbed when embalming spices showed up.  She may have wanted to tuck that “special gift” away until Jesus was a little older.   Remember, Mary had been pondering these things (Luke 2:19), but I don’t think she knew her infant was on the fast track to torture and death.  Embalming spices were not quite the typical new baby gift I am guessing.

So dear extended family, please do not stress about the “right” gift.  The joy is in the in giving the gift!  Perhaps the answer for me is to release the self-imposed responsibility to meet the persistent requests of extended family though made with good intentions.  And if the kids receive two sets of “Uno” cards then so be it.

Take Time to Ponder

Much is unknown about the Wise Men…how many there were, from where the came…but scripture teaches they journeyed a long time for one purpose; to find the Messiah.  Their journey required special packing to protect the precious gifts they planned to present.  Though their journey was surely arduous it gave them ample time to plan how they would respond when the finally arrived to meet the Messiah.  After all the travel and all the time thinking their response was to fall down in worship. 

Are you more concerned about your special packages this Christmas and how they will be presented?  Are you spending more time planning meals and table settings or falling down before the manger? 

Keep wrapping.  Keep planning.  Keep attending all the kids’ performances.  BUT use the journey to Christmas as a time to prepare to fall down.  HE is so worthy of our worship.  Jesus is the greatest gift.  If you spend time on your relationship with Jesus this Christmas season AND modeling that relationship before your children then Santa doesn’t stand a chance.

Blessings,

Nancy

Comments

Popular Posts